Social Media marketing is becoming more important to business of all industries every day. Equally important for those schools that mentor leaders on how to run those businesses. When enterprises are going 2.0 and 3.o; B schools are yet in beta phase.
Management education is picking up importance now when there are already plenty of those B Schools around. Surprising to see they aren’t open to social interaction yet, when 100% of B schools abroad are engaging with potential talent on digital media.
Why should B Schools go social?
- If you are still looking for a reason, you need to be open to new ideas. The MBA market is growing and so are B Schools. Each B School wants talent; more applicants to have students from varied backgrounds. Being social and open helps in achieving that. More applications, more selective your program can be; being more selective gets higher reputation for your institute.
- Highly social B Schools are said to have more influence among aspirants who later are a part of annual rankings. Being social, a B School remains at top of their mind. Also, while recommeding a B School to others, top of mind responses matter most.
- A blog is the best way to reach out to whom-so-ever you may want to. Students publishing via official school blog not only gives them a chance to exhibit their skills and management thoughts but also show cases intention to and high level of involvement with industry which goes beyond class room learning. Such blogposts are read by industry leaders to zero down on talent hubs (Why do we all follow HBR?) . Few colleges publish project reports, dissertations, presentations by their students via website and distribute on social media. This keeps students on their toes, creating great content that reaches the relevant industry.
- Traditional marketing activities are not as effective when it comes to placements. To invite new companies on board, it’s tough when placement brochures do little; however easy when the name of your college is influnential socially.
- Via digital media, a college should not only share management thoughts but should be open to rich and involvement content like a picture from the classroom, a lecture video, students view on life in b school etc. This enhances engagement and aspirants aspire to be a part of your b school culture.
- Other B Schools are doing it!
- Future students will expect it!
- Or you can find your own reason to be on social media.
Recruit more potential students by forming a selection strategy, provide more service and value to current students, stay connected with industry thought leaders and alumni, and interact regularly with required connections. Its always awesome (yet easy) to say a ’Hi’ to an alumnus and ask ‘whats happening?’ to start off a discussion on twitter.
Those B Schools on social media, are loving it! Always remember, some underlying fundamentals are here to stay regardless of how the platforms change.
B Schools on Twitter
Just wondering how many B Schools in India are utilizing the power of Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/Youtube. Surprisingly, hardly any has an official linkedin page for communication with current, prospective and alumni. Similarly, there are many unofficial facebook pages scattered with little or no conversations happening. Twitter handles are forgotten.
Some B Schools are on twitter juts for the heck of it.
Some are passively pursuing it
Some are actively engaging followers
If we missed some twitter handles, please let us know in the comments section. Your point of views are welcome, should B Schools go social?
B Schools need to understand the importance of engagement. It drives relations. Get in touch with us, lets have one awesome digital media strategy for your B School. It’s time to leave conventions and kick off to a brand ’Your B School 2.0′.